Please forgive me, but in the spirit of Valentine’s Day I’ve written a cheesy list post. I personally hate lists, but I must confess that I do love when people visit my site, so it’s time to pander.
Let me see if I can fry this cheese and dip it in chocolate by making my list only about the letter “L”. So here are seven things you can do as a leader to show the love to your employees:
1. Learn: learning is the development of experience, insights, knowledge, and understanding that eventually leads to a change in behavior. Unless and until we do something different, we just have not learned. Hypocrisy is the gap between what we say we believe and value and how we are actually behaving. Confront your integrity gap and engage in the difficult work of learning to continuously improve your own behavior at work.
2. Listen: There is no substitute for caring. We know people care about us when they take the time to listen and respond. Make a special effort to listen to the folks that have the courage to tell you what you need to hear, not what they think you want to hear. After you listen, don’t forget to also open up and share of yourself.
4. Leap: Give yourself permission to be excellent by doing the things others are not willing to do. Stop playing it safe – jump!
5. Lust: Lust for power because it is the heart of leadership. As you earn more power, use it to enable your people to fix crappy systems and continuously improve the work environment. Develop the strength of character to use your power to serve those you’ve been given the privilege to lead regardless of what they think of you.
6. Laugh: Happiness is a daily choice, and there is no reason you can’t choose to expect yourself and others to be happy at work. Savor the positive about the work you do, those you do it with and those you do it for. Celebrate good news and look for more reasons to just have fun and be happy.
7. Live: Leadership is a journey. For the sake of those you will influence along the way, make the most of your personal journey through life.
Try these seven things and expect your people to appreciate and return the love!
What do you think? Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.